Monday, August 28, 2006

Defining the Relationship

Oh the dreaded DTR! Yet another masochistic concept that only Christians would ever think of imposing on themselves. The basic premiss is solid: placing things out in the open, making one’s feelings, intentions and plans clear. However, like many other noble ideas, such as communism and nuclear armament, it fails to work out in practice. A more apropos definition for the DTR might be Destroying The Romance as this is all it ever seems to accomplished. How many casualty stories have I heard from friends? The carnage reeked is immeasurably beyond memory’s horizon. Yet can I name one victory claimed for the DTR? Sadly and assuredly the answer is no. So then why do we persist in this suicide dance? I know not. My only advise, crude and nondescript as it is, is to avoid the DTR like the plague. Advice, I am afraid, which few seem to heed. As for myself, I have personally redefined the DTR and made it my mantra: quite simply it means DON’T TALK RYAN! Truly there is a time and place to shut up. Even I know that.

3 comments:

lowonthego said...

hahaha i LOVED THIS BLOG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Terra said...

Wow, I so totally disagree. DTR's are valuable. And done right they can open people up to moving forward in a relationship or saving things from going from where they are not supposted to go. Not having a DTR is childish.

Peter Thurley said...

I know someone who successfully pulled off a DTR. I, however, have always and repeatedly failed. It is only when I did not have one that a relationship blossomed. Good post.