Wednesday, August 02, 2006

In MeMorial


As many of you may very well know I have really been missing having a dog ever since Winston died. I had Winny for over 13 years; more than half my life. He was a great dog, an amazing buddy, and a big part of my day to day life. I had to put him down just before my trip because he was virtually paralyzed and in so much pain. It was a hard thing to do, the last thing i wanted, and not a good parting sentiment when leaving the country. The day after he died I had to walk out of a prayer meeting because I was still so upset and overwhelmed. But it was also good leaving for Africa right afterwards because what really made me miss Winston was not having him there for our day to day routines. Waking up in the morning my first instinct was always to let him out, but then I would remember he wasn’t there. There were so many things I was used to doing with him and they all became sad reminders. Even eating an apple was a miserable occasion; Winston always used to love eating the core. So getting away from the day to day was a good thing. But as soon as I got back I started to miss him again. Anyway, its taken awhile to digest not having my closets companion. But life moves on, which brings me to my latest news, which is that we have a new puppy. It turns out everyone in my family missed having a dog, and so... well... now we have a dog.... Anyway, i will write all about him tomorrow, but not now. I wanted to have a blog entry dedicated just to Winston before I begin singing the praises of the newest, cutest thing on the block. Winston was a great dog: loving, loyal, intelligent, protective, fun, everything you could ask for I a K-9. I think my only real complaint about him was his hair. Man did he have a lot of hair, but he was beautiful, really gorgeous with that thick husky coat. It was just a lot of work keeping him clean. Anyway, there isn’t a lot you can say about a dog I guess, other that he was ‘good.’ Winston understood probably about a dozen words, and I think his favorite was good. He was a very good boy, and I miss him, even if he was just a hunk of fur.

3 comments:

lowonthego said...

this was a beautiful post.

Son of Man said...

ya, pretty sexy stuff Ry.

amac said...

the first time i ever came to ur house, i picked up a little present from winston with my shoe.