Thursday, August 17, 2006

Nerd Alert

So I saw a link for some nerd test on Matt's blog and decided to check it out. Matt scored a 62 on the test, meaning he is only slightly nerdy, which is a surprisingly low score (no offense Matt be you admitted it yourself). Anyway, I decided to take the nerd test and scored a 7, which means that not only am I certifiably un-nerdy, but there is a good chance I am actually cool! It also said that there is a chance I hate nerds, which is way bogus. Nerds are cool! But then again... that becomes kinda circular because if nerds are cool ... and I’m cool ... am I a nerd after all ...? Man, there has to be some kind of syllogism to help work this out... and does using the word ‘syllogism’ make me a nerd? a turbo cool nerd?

I am nerdier than 7% of all people. Are you nerdier? Click here to find out!

2 comments:

Matt Hughes said...

Don't worry Ryan. Your reasoning goes:

Ryan (is an element of) Cool Things
Nerds (is a subset of) Cool Things
Therefore,
Ryan (is an element of) Nerds

But that is only proven if:
Nerds (is equivalent to) Cool Things

So if you can prove that:
(There exists an element) x (such that) x (is an element of) Cool Things (and) x (is not an element of) Nerds
then you will be glad to see that your reasoning is fallacious.

Consider a Pirate.
A Pirate (is an element of) Cool Things
A Pirate (is not an element of) Nerds

So you can safely say that nerds are cool without implying that you are a nerd, QED
;-)

Matt Hughes said...

But that does not prove that you are not a pirate.